Tuesday, June 14, 2016

A Kid Again - first Scottish links round at North Berwick

First Review - North Berwick West Links 
(played on March 6th, 2016)


Some of my favorite memories from about 10 years of age on are on the golf course, spending 10 hours at the local golf club that it cost me only about  $200 USD a year to play.  Golfing in the Kingdom has brought me back to that feeling.  This was definitely true for my first round in the Kingdom, at the historic North Berwick Golf Club playing the West Links.

I have never felt the spiritual aspect of golf more than my first drive to North Berwick and my first round.  As you pull up to North Berwick (as well as many other historic Scottish courses), you instantly feel the history.  It isn't like walking up to some cookie cutter American clubhouse, you're literally staring at history.



The First Tee
I spent months before my first journey to Scotland preparing for my trip.  I studied North Berwick and Muirfield, and researched a third could play in the area. I read stories about Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson sneaking on 16 to putt but ending up kicked off the course by an employee that did not recognize them.  I  know not to park in the parking lot that sits right on hole 18, and most importantly, knew every hole at The West Links.   I knew every hole; that is, until I pulled up to play my first round.

As I pulled up to play, I instantly became nervous.  I started to doubt my game, why I planned so many rounds, and why I would be so stupid to commit myself to months of traveling for golf.  After some self coaching in the car, I walked up to the clubhouse and was welcomed quite warmly.  This gave me a nice boost of confidence as I began working on swings with a swing trainer I had brought with me.  After a little while swinging, I checked in with the starter and walked up to the first tee.

Standing on the tee box I took the opportunity to look around at the beautiful landscape and while doing so also happened to notice that there were about 10 people standing around.  At that moment, I get that shanks thought in my head (I had the s**nks last year a couple times and hadn't played a round of golf in 4 months) - I pray you never have to deal with those.  Thank God I was able to hit an iron off the tee as I somehow, in spite of my knees knocking, striped it down the middle.  As I walk to my ball in the fairway I can't help but be overwhelmed by the fact that I am actually living my dream.  This is something I never thought I would accomplish, and after some news a few years ago really didn't believe was possible for me.  Yet, here I am, about the hit an approach shot from 125 out.



I am extremely excited at this point, could I birdie my first hole?  This is a perfect 52 degree for me and I have a clear view of the green.  I walk up, hit a good shot at my target.  As I approach what I believe to be the green,  I realize I aimed at the wrong green.  I am 20 yards short of the 17th green I aimed at, and pin high but 15 yards left for the 1st hole (This should also serve as a reminder that caddies are a huge help when playing links golf).   I somehow despite my nerves clouding my memory managed to get up and down with my putter (possibly the best putt I have hit in my life from off a green), and saved a par.


"... Please don't kill someone"
Walking to the next tee I am feeling great, thanking God I somehow got over my nerves and managed a par, and thrilled to play the famous 2nd hole called "Beach."  I feel a sigh of relief on my short walk as I felt this will get a lot easier now with no one watching me.  Nope.  Walk up to the second hole (another one of the flagships of North Berwick) and I notice what is easily 30 people on the beach or walking right near the fairway where I want to aim.  I am standing on one of the best holes I will play in my entire life and I am about to kill someone with what is my first Driver swing of the season.  I didn't kill anyone.  What I did, was duck hook it right into a group of players on another hole.  I loudly yell "fore!," pick up my tee and walk quickly to apologize.    I feel awful after nearly hitting the golfers and am fully expecting to get screamed at, told I am a terrible golfer and should not be playing there.  As I walk down toward the group, one of the golfers in the group - that happens to be a group of members -  yells, "we expected that you were going to duck hook it with that huge group over on the public areas of the course and the beach.  What a difficult drive today, it gets crazy out here with locals walking in the public areas on lovely days like today."  This instantly gives me comfort and we spend a few minutes discussing the course.  He welcomes me and thanks me for joining the club for the day.   I am absolutely blown away by the welcome, and shocked that a member kind enough to share his club with me is thanking me.









WOW.  What an experience.  The course and members were top notch, and the experience at North Berwick was likely the most welcoming golf experience I have had thus far in my journeys.  Other courses have been very welcoming as well, but North Berwick stood out (As well as Muirfield, which I will share in a later review).

A course full of fun
There is no way to not have fun playing North Berwick.  With stone walls running through the course, sunken greens, short par 5s, tricky par 3s, memorable holes, and beautiful views - I thought at times, I hope Heaven is this good.  North Berwick, although not my top course, was likely the most fun round I will have in my journeys.   I would guess that more of my favorite holes on my journeys will come from North Berwick West Links than any other course.  I would guess North Berwick ends up having about 3 of my 10 favorite holes in my golf journeys (which are looking like I will end up playing about 16 of the top courses in the world that happen to be in the UK).


North Berwick was a great way for me to kick off my journeys as it made me realize that my golf journeys are all about having fun.   All about being a kid again.  About the spiritual component that golf has in my life, and about appreciating opportunities in life I was not sure I would have 4 years ago.  It was a lesson on appreciating the journey and not just the outcome - A lesson I am still reminding myself.

It doesn't matter how I play, I am living a dream that I have been blessed to have the opportunity.


Photos
The "Pit" - Hole 13
Straightforward short Par 4 with the beach left.  Not a difficult hole but intimidating tee shot for a person with Winter Season driver in the bag.  One of most memorable holes will ever play.  Where else can you find a sunken green, beside the beach, with a stone wall running through the hole?












Redan - Hole 15

#HumbleBrag I birdied this hole.  The most famous hole on the course and one of the most copied in golf.  I hit an iron to
about 8 feet.  I am pretty sure though that if it had been Summer with the brutal pin position that I would have easily been off the green.

















Other Photos















No comments:

Post a Comment