Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Gullane #1

Second Review - Gullane #1
(Played on March 7th, 2016)

Got the first round out of my system at North Berwick the day before where I scored about as well as I could have expected for my first round of the year.  I didn't quite break 80 but had 3 birdies, which helped me shoot a respectable score while breaking off the rust.  I also had some high numbers, but that is to be expected for the current state of my golf game.

The round at North Berwick gave me confidence going into my second round, but also made me realize that I needed to practice.  Luckily for me, Gullane Golf Club has a very nice practice facility -unique to most traditional Scottish Links.  If you're in the area you should definitely take advantage of the practice facilities, as well as the pro shop on site that is the only place in the area that also sells Muirfield items.  As Muirfield Golf Club only has a very limited selection of club specific materials, this is by far the best place to get merchandise for Muirfield as well.  Now that got all of that out, to the course review:

Gullane #1 is an amazing course
I am not really sure where to even begin when reviewing Gullane #1.  Leaving the weekend I found it to be an amazing course.  But looking back on it the course has not stood the test of time in my mind.  Having now played 9 courses, not many holes on Gullane stand out as much as some holes on other courses.  At the same time, this course definitely holds its own with the other courses I have played - which makes me feel this is a good time to mention that Scotland has a lot of great courses.  I would be lucky to play any of these courses for the rest of my life.

 I still remember many of the holes fondly, the problem though as I look back at Gullane is that the weak ending to the course has had more of an impact on me than I expected.  As a positive:  The course is a true championship links course, and by far has the most beautiful views of any of the three courses near the area that I played.  

With that said, as far as the memorable factor - it doesn't have the historical aspect of Muirfield for me, and doesn't have the unique quirkiness of North Berwick.  It just doesn't quite have the "IT" factor that many of the others courses I have played thus far possess.  Although I definitely enjoyed my round here more than I enjoyed my round at Muirfield, I also in some sick way absolutely loved the brutal day I had at Muirfield (please see Muirfield review to come later).

Gullane #1 is a tough Championship links course at near 6900 yards and it felt even longer to me, at least on the day when I played it in March.  I played very well here and hit a lot of great drives but I ended up shooting the same score as I did the day before at North Berwick.  I would guess I would have shot about a +5 strokes worse as I look back on my North Berwick if had played the same way here.

What I loved about GULLANE #1
To start, the views are second to none.  WOW, what a beautiful course - especially from the top of #3 and #9.

You should definitely take the time to play this course if you're in the area.  It holds it's own with the top 100 ranked courses North Berwick and Muirfield.  It is a great course.  Here are summaries of a few of the holes.

Hole #1 - "First"
One may say this is a weak starting hole, but as I have begun to realize - I really appreciate a course giving me a friendly welcome.  I was not this way back home, but in March I absolutely loved walking up to a 305 yard par 4.  It is always nice beginning with a par.  You have the clubhouse far to your right, high grass to the left and can see the brutal second hole waiting for you up the hill ahead.




















Hole #2 - "Windygate"
Windygate is a great hole to remind you that you are playing a Championship links course - and not your neighborhood course down the road.  This hole reads 412 yards, but felt like I was playing a 490 yard monster.  The hole heads up a volcanic hill and gave me nightmares.  Even after I hit a drive right down the middle, I still ended up with a double bogey as this hole scared me to death for some reason.  After my drive, I had a long way to go as the hole typically heads straight into a stronger wind than one would expect on this side of the hill.  Wow, this hole still makes me want to cry a little - and again, for some reason when it comes to links golf I love this memory.




















I loved that what felt like the most brutal hole on the course for me was followed by one of the best views on the course.  Following hole 2 is the first time the golfer is granted the opportunity to view the beautiful location of the course.  What a great way to pick up a golfer's spirits.

Hole #3 - "Racecourse"
One of the most beautiful views I have found on any course, this hole is great.  I also happened to birdie it with a long putt.  I didn't do anything exceptional until my 3rd shot that put me into position to make a long putt.  I'll quit blabbering though and just show you a couple of photos of the beautiful views from this hole






















Hole #9- "Corbie"
One of the most respected holes on the golf course. This is the view everyone will tell you about, but I actually liked the view from 3 just a well.





















Other Comments about the round
Many of the holes felt longer than the yardage, and for some reason I found what I expected to be the tougher holes not as difficult as some of the easier ones.  Especially when it came to the par 5's - I birdied the two longer par 5's, but double bogey the 480 yard one.  

Toughest Holes
#2, #10

--------------
What Disappointed me about Gullane #1
Weak ending.  I was definitely underwhelmed by the last two holes.  I absolutely pushed/sliced a driver and I was still in great position on 17.  18 also didn't do it for me.  I am sure it is different playing in Summer conditions, but the rest of the course did not deserve this ending.  Sadly, these last two holes impacted my review for what is otherwise an absolutely amazing course.




--------------
Other Photos















No comments:

Post a Comment